Non CDL Driver
412 Food Rescue Job Description
The delivery driver will drive our refrigerated vehicles (no CDL required) and help us make daily pick-ups from our distributor / wholesale partners and deliver to our nonprofit partners.
We require applicants with a flexible work schedule, primarily weekdays with some weekend opportunities.
- Collects perishable, prepared, and other foods from retail stores, farms, and wholesale partners; informs supervisor of any problems or issues in a timely manner.
- Inspects the product to be donated following food safety guidelines and refuses donations if the product doesn't meet stated criteria.
- Collects and delivers all products following all state and federal food safety handling guidelines.
- Delivers food/donations to nonprofit beneficiaries; informs supervisor of any problems or issues in a timely manner.
- Accurately records all collections and distributions in our inventory system. Also records any and all information pertinent to food rescue operations.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with vendors and beneficiaries; maintains positive relationships with all 412 Food Rescue staff.
- Contacts key staff at vendor/beneficiary locations to ensure smooth pick-up and delivery of donations or to communicate any delays or issues that may arise.
- Communicates weekly with the manager to provide updates and review any issues.
- Responds to any/all outreach from management/office staff in a timely manner.
- Maintains a clean and orderly vehicle cab and cargo area.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of customer service. Demonstrates a clear understanding of our vendors and beneficiaries by responding to their needs in a timely manner or informing the manager if they are unable to do so.
- Follows all PennDOT and company regulations as they relate to company vehicles and general safety.
- Practices safe and lawful driving at all times. Follows legal parking procedures as outlined by the organization.
All essential duties are to be accomplished based on ADA guidelines. ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) states that the essential duties are to be successfully accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
NON ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
Participates in staff meetings.
- Food Handling experience preferred
- Effective customer service skills
- Communicate clearly and effectively in all oral and written communications
- Ability to learn computerized data input technology
- Ability and desire to relate to and work with various age, economic, racial and ethnic groups of individuals
- Ability to adjust to the unconventional demands of a food rescue operation that has both scheduled pickups/deliveries as well as unexpected pickups and deliveries
- Ability to drive a 16’ box truck in urban streetscapes, prior experience preferred
- High attention to detail, receiving instructions, and following through
- Friendly and skilled communicator
- Willingness to work non-traditional schedules—including early mornings and possibly late evenings
- Interest & knowledge of the region’s food industry
- Access to reliable transportation (to get to the truck parking location) as well as a driver’s license
- Ability to adapt to varied work requirements
- Ability to work cooperatively with other staff and volunteers
- Tact and diplomacy in dealing with diversity
- Ability to both speak and write English
Formal education or special training required:
- High School graduate or GED equivalent
- Valid Pennsylvania driver's license with at least 5 years experience driving
- ServSafe certification preferred (company will pay for training if hired)
- Previous customer service and/or grocery retail experience preferred
- State criminal background check and Act 33/34 clearances required (company will pay associated fees on behalf of employee, if required)
Physical abilities required:
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, use hands, reach, climb stairs, stoop, kneel, climb in and out of a dock-high vehicle, talk and hear clearly.
- Ability to perform moderate to heavy physical labor (lift or maneuver up to 75 lbs.)
- Ability to work in refrigerated areas (cooler and freezer) for periods of time
- Ability to navigate the Greater Pittsburgh area and use GPS
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice