Senior Software Engineer
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Full Time
412 Food Rescue
Approximately one-third of all food produced in the world is lost or wasted, while one in nine people is experiencing food insecurity. The production of unused food also generates about 8% of global greenhouse gas emissions annually.
412 Food Rescue was founded as a direct response to the disconnect between food waste, hunger and climate change. Through our innovative technology platform, Food Rescue Hero, and partnerships with food retailers, nonprofit organizations, and local volunteers, we transport millions of pounds of healthy food directly to those experiencing food insecurity.
We are seeking a full-time Senior Software Engineer to join our Pittsburgh-based team.
We welcome and encourage all applicants to apply, especially BIPOC, LGBTQA+, people with disabilities, people with criminal histories, and veterans.
We are looking for a senior engineer with experience designing and developing complex software systems. The Food Rescue Hero technology platform utilizes Ruby on Rails server side and the cross-platform app development framework Ionic (using Angular) to build our mobile applications. You will be expected to work closely with the Head of Engineering to architect and design new features as defined by the Product team, and lead development work with the engineering team in implementing these features. Code reviews and feedback are expected as well as providing mentorship to the other developers. In addition to new features, supporting, maintaining, and upgrading the existing platform are tantamount to this role as well. An understanding of DevOps is required to support our infrastructure: familiarity with AWS, containers, etc.
This role requires being on site part time.
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable code
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automation
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs and devise solutions to these problems
- Implementation of services and APIs to power the application
- Building reusable code and libraries for future use
- Optimization for performance/scalability
- Translation of designs to visual elements
- Support the Food Rescue Hero app and platform
- Support and manage the deployment, scalability, and monitoring of our infrastructure
- Experience with Ruby on Rails in a production environment
- Experience working with Ionic Framework or other cross platform app technologies
- Experience writing test driven code
- Good understanding of Ruby syntax, Rails helpers, and all of the related nuances
- Good understanding of object-oriented programming
- Good understanding of server-side CSS preprocessors such as Sass
- Familiarity with development aiding tools such as NPM, Bundler, Rake, etc
- Familiarity with concepts of MVC, Mocking, ORM, and RESTful APIs
- Familiarity with Selenium
- A knack for writing clean, readable code
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, Git specifically
- Familiarity with continuous integration
- 5+ years experience writing production software
- 3+ years of Ruby on Rails experience
- 1+ years of front-end experience with a modern web framework (Angular, React, etc)
- Experience with deployments, AWS, and DevOps
Nice to have
- Experience using Terraform for managing infrastructure
- Experience using Github Actions
- Experience in nonprofit or social enterprise setting
- Dog friendly
- Health insurance, dental, vision
- Paid time off
- 11 company holidays + 2 floating holidays
- Professional development resources