- Pittsburgh, PA
- Full Time
- Entry Level
412 Food Rescue
Title: Dispatch Operator
Hours: Full Time - 40 Hours Per Week
Reports to: Dispatch Manager
About 412 Food Rescue
Approximately one-third of all food produced in the world is lost or wasted, while one in nine people is experiencing food insecurity. The production of unused food also generates about 8% of global greenhouse gas emissions annually.
412 Food Rescue was founded as a direct response to the disconnect between food waste, hunger and climate change. Through our innovative technology platform, Food Rescue Hero, and partnerships with food retailers, nonprofit organizations, and local volunteers, we transport millions of pounds of healthy food directly to those experiencing food insecurity.
We are seeking a full-time Dispatch Operator to join our Pittsburgh-based team.
We welcome and encourage all applicants to apply, especially BIPOC, LGBTQA+, people with disabilities, people with criminal histories, and veterans.
The Dispatch Operator, with the support of the Dispatch Manager, is responsible for the successful execution of 412 Food Rescue’s Food Rescue Hero technology platform.
You will be expected to work closely with the Dispatch Manager to handle any and all incoming and outgoing communications from our Operations Line to:
Food Recovery Operations (i.e., 412 Food Rescue Operations Department)
- Assist in coordinating part-time dispatchers and serve as their redundancy on dispatch.
- Assist in the development of standard operating procedures.
- Assist in workflow, systems, process design and review.
- Act as the primary redundancy for the Dispatch Manager.
Food Rescue Hero Operations (e.g., 412 Food Rescue’s mobile application)
- Troubleshoot a variety of issues that volunteers, food donors, and nonprofit recipients may run into during a food rescue.
- Report technical issues and other inconsistencies to the Dispatch Manager in a timely manner.
- Place incoming donations in an equitable manner to our nonprofit partners.
- Input, review, troubleshoot, and analyze vast amounts of information.
Call Center Operations
- Provide outstanding customer service by providing volunteers, donors, nonprofit partners, and more, logistical support, basic technical support (Tier 0 – IT Support Level), and sometimes crisis response support.
Logistical and Supply Chain Management Operations
- Coordinate load supply planning with short shelf-life products without a robust software system.
- Coordinate, monitor, and sometimes create original logistical plans for highly perishable short shelf-life products.
- Communicate cross-functionally across various technical levels and provide planning and food safety support to our nonprofit partners as needed.
Community and Social Management Operations
- Build and maintain professional relationships with the communities we serve.
- Be familiar with diversity, inclusion, and equity (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) principles.
- Be culturally sensitive and responsive when speaking to and collaborating with all internal and external parties.
This role may require being on site in East Liberty as needed. We are currently working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic with a hybrid work schedule to start in the future.
- A passion for 412 Food Rescue’s mission of keeping food out of the waste stream and
directly tackling food insecurity through innovative programs.
- High degree of capacity and comfort to being on phone calls and texting using the company’s telephony system.
- High degree of comfort with ambiguity and a fast-moving environment.
- High ability to be proactive, agile and flexible.
- High ability to both create and execute plans as well as be responsive to new
opportunities that may arise.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Organized with excellent time and space management skills.
- Compassionate and adaptable in working with people of diverse socio-economic and
- Experience with volunteer management, preferred.
- Enthusiastic about troubleshooting and problem solving in a logistics environment.
- Flexibility, creativity and capacity to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Commitment to food safety, the safety of volunteers, and providing a safe work
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with vendors and beneficiaries; maintains
positive relationships with all 412 Food Rescue staff.
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office, Google G Suite, database management,
social media and electronic communication platforms.
- High School Disploma or GED Required. College Degree Preferred.
- Valid PA Drivers License
Nice To Have:
- Servsafe Manager Certification (can be provided once hired)
- Experience in a customer service and/or call center role
- Experience in nonprofit or social enterprise settings
- Must be able to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and walk.
- Must be comfortable standing up and moving around in a fast paced environment for the majority of the work day.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- This is a full-time salaried position.
- Benefits include health insurance, dental, vision, paid time off, 11 company holidays + 2 floating holidays, and a flexible schedule.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.